Monday, February 22, 2010

Week 5

A very weird week! I generally don’t weigh in during the middle of the week but for some reason I did this week. I’m actually really glad I did!!!

Having gotten a bit tired of the same old three lunches, Lori and I decided to try and find a few different lunch choices. (In case you don’t know, Lori is my roommate and we are on this journey toward health together) In her search of the myriad of Zone websites she uses, she found that Lean Cuisine has quite a number of frozen dinners that meet the Zone 40-30-30 mark (or pretty darn close) and the packaging loudly proclaimed “No Preservatives” so we made our selections. I must admit, I really enjoyed the different flavors and was surprised by how much I liked them. Don’t get me wrong, they’re not a restaurant meal but they were pretty satisfying.

Unfortunately, every day I got on the scale my weight went up a little bit more and by Thursday I was irritated to say the least. So I started looking more critically at the ingredients and realized that although there were no preservatives, there was WAY MORE sodium in those lunches than I have been having. It’s not exactly a scientific study but Thursday and Friday I went back to my regular lunches and by Saturday & Sunday the scale was headed back down. Yep, I don’t plan on making Lean Cuisine a regular staple!!! I still wouldn’t be against having one occasionally but we are on the hunt for more choices we can make and freeze ourselves.

Our attempt this week was to modify one of my favorite soups into a Zone-friendly recipe and it appears to have worked. I did the taste test before it was divided up and it was really good! Tasted pretty much just like the non-Zone-friendly recipe.

Considering all the hiccups, the final result for the week was ok. Nothing to jump up and down about but I’m satisfied.

I lost 0.8 lbs which is a whole lot better than the + 3 lbs I was looking at on Thursday!

Still trying to figure out how to get more workouts in but with the current work schedule I just don’t think it’s very realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment